Getting ' Invalid private key for encryption app. Please update your private key password in your personal settings to recover access to your encrypted files.' error

Hello,

I am getting following error after logging in to mail =
Invalid private key for encryption app. Please update your private key password in your personal settings to recover access to your encrypted files.

I don’t remember my private key password.
How to proceed?

Pls suggest.

Regards,
Amey.

Hi Amey,
Have you changed your pasword recently? Do you remember your previous password? Nextcloud uses your password to encrypt the files you store on the cloud:
https://forum.disroot.org/t/how-to-change-your-disroot-user-password

If you do not remember your old password it is possible to reset the account but it is not possible to recover any files on the cloud as they are encrypted with the old key.

Hello Antilopa,

Yes I changed my password recently but I don’t remember previous password.

I went through the document you sent.
Unfortunately I am unable to find Enable password recovery option inside Settings > Personal.
Any suggesion?

I don’t have any IMP data to be backed up.
How to remove this message from getting displayed every time?

Thanks & Regards,
Amey.

Please remove all files from the cloud, log out and log back in again. That should get rid of the message.

After that you should be able to also see the ‘Basic Encryption Module’ in the personal settings.

Mind that if you enable recovery in “Basic encryption module” we (system administrators) will be able to decrypt your files. We therefor advise you to just store your password somewhere safe, or use password you will remember.

What I did just now is I changed current password by visiting user.disroot.org & logged back.
Now that error is gone & Basic encryption module is asking if to keep Enable password recovery disabled or enable.

Thanks to both of you for quick updates.

Regards,
Amey.

Hey,
I deleted all the files in the cloud and logged out and back in, but I am still getting this message. What do I do?
I am using two factor authentication, by the way.
Thanks.
Edit: I emailed support and got this fixed. Thanks!