Hotmail rejecting email from disroot

Hi everyone,

Hotmail is today rejecting messages sent from my disroot account. Is there any remedy for this?

hotmail-com.olc.protection.outlook.com[104.47.124.33] said: 550 5.7.1
    Unfortunately, messages from [178.21.23.139] weren't sent. Please contact
    your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block
    list (S3140). You can also refer your provider to
    http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.
    [HK2APC01FT056.eop-APC01.prod.protection.outlook.com] (in reply to MAIL
    FROM command)
1 Like

HI, I will check whats up, but I have been in battele with microsoft over this for months and now they simply ignore me without giving reason as to why we endup in the spam.

But I will keep trying.

2 Likes

Thanks. This now goes beyond spam filtering because it’s now non-delivery which is much more serious. I understand that this is entirely M$'s doing, and I thank you for persisting with them. Good luck!

Wow, that’s some bad news. Just a couple months ago I made my grandpa switch to disroot as his old email provider was being blocked by Microsoft, and now this. Microsoft are being serious jerks here.

Thank you for your perseverance on this! Is there anything a simple user can do to add his voice to the mix?

One thing could be to contact hotmail support, but seeing how badly their support treats us (last year they just stopped communicating) i doubt it will have any result.

··· On Monday, 11 May 2020, renyhp wrote: > > > Wow, that's some bad news. Just a couple months ago I made my grandpa switch to disroot as his old email provider was being blocked by Microsoft, and now this. Microsoft are being serious jerks here. > > Thank you for your perseverance on this! Is there anything a simple user can do to add his voice to the mix? > > > > > > --- > [Visit Topic](http://forum.disroot.org/t/hotmail-rejecting-email-from-disroot/7351/4) or reply to this email to respond. > > You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode. > > To unsubscribe from these emails, [click here](http://forum.disroot.org/email/unsubscribe/4a4966493f1f665a98279d93a3ba4756eb6f55d7536f3e30abe42fabe7ddd16a). >

Sent from my Sailfish device

A glimmer of hope … a message to a hotmail.com account just now has not bounced. I hope I have not jinxed it …

[Update] Messages to Hotmail are still being rejected. :frowning:

I just got “off the line” with their chat support and the customer support agent insisted that the e-mail recipient needed to be “whitelisted” by my e-mail provider, not the other way around. Some of the response below (complaint was written from point of view of person not receiving e-mail to their Hotmail account).

In order to receive his email, you must be in his email provider white list. […] Please understand that it’s not Hotmail put him in White List. It’s his email is not listing you in white list.

I would actually love writing to their support but I just can’t seem to find any link to some form a “normal” user can fill, or any support email for that matter.

According to my (very non-expert) investigations with mxtoolbox.com, disroot.org appears to be on a backscatterer blacklist.

Listing on Backscatterer blacklist indicates that your server is issuing “backscatter” in the form of Non-Delivery Reports (bounces) to external users, or misdirected autoresponders and sender callouts. Much of this is a function of how your server configuration is set to handle emails directed to users that do not exist on the server, and can cause many problems especially if you are hit with a directory-harvesting attack. Simply requesting delisting and paying their fee will do nothing to help you correct the problem and will give you no guarantee that you won’t get blacklisted again.

There is conflicting advice about what to do about this, including Do Nothing and the listing will timeout and the problem will go away. More detail from mxtoolbox here.

Alternatively, you can fill out this form from Microsoft and they will unblock your IP address manually.

I hope this is helpful, @muppeth and apologise if it’s just distracting bullsh*t.

Thanks.

1 Like

The Backscatterer blacklisting could be happening because of yahoo actually who decided to push DMARC reports to our ticketing system and not abuse@disroot.org for some reason which resulted in a trigger from our support autoreply, which they considered spamming (as it would directly autoreply to each report sent).
We’ll see if this was the issue. The worse thing is that in order to get whitelisted we need to pay up which suck as its caused by yahoo’s miss configuration or simply not following standards (who knows).

@mbs2 Btw. thanks for checking things. I guess we have no other way to pay up right now, but I wonder if this is the reason MS has decided to block. Lets hope so.

1 Like

I ran a test this morning by sending an email to a hotmail account. No bounce back, message delivered correctly and reply received! :slight_smile: Furthermore, the backscatterer error no longer shows up on the mxtoolbox.com listing. I think this is a win!

Thanks, @muppeth and the other posters.

1 Like

Yeah i paid the ransom to the blacklist folks this morning so this should be solved. Lets hope microsoft’s servers were blocking because of this (though it was their fault to begin with).
Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Once again thanks to all of you and @mbs2 specially for pointing at the blacklist issue. I need to improve our blacklist monitoring looks like as i didnt get message about it.

···

On Wednesday, 13 May 2020, mbs2 via Disroot - Forum wrote:

I ran a test this morning by sending an email to a hotmail account. No bounce back, message delivered correctly and reply received! :slight_smile: Furthermore, the backscatterer error no longer shows up on the mxtoolbox.com listing. I think this is a win!

Thanks, @muppeth and the other posters.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Sent from my Sailfish device

2 Likes

looks like it’s back for some weeks now.

nobody else having issues sending to hotmail?

Sent: 2020.11.09 14:05:59 by Me (cregox@disroot.org)
State: Failed
Error: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender – This is the mail system at host disroot.org.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<seveneves@hotmail.com>: host
    hotmail-com.olc.protection.outlook.com[104.47.74.33] said: 550 5.7.1
    Unfortunately, messages from [178.21.23.139] weren't sent. Please contact
    your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block
    list (S3140). You can also refer your provider to
    http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.
    [BN8NAM04FT024.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com] (in reply to MAIL
    FROM command)
Message from cregox@disroot.org

sorry i didn’t dig for solutions…

found just this https://www.rackaid.com/blog/hotmail-blacklist-removal/ but it’s probably redundant for you.

the one thing i do know about this kind of issue, from my experience with being the technical manager of onisp back in 2004, is that everyone likes to invent their own SMTP standards in their attempt to fight spam and improve their own servers. like the wild wild west.

it was a nightmare to manage this back then, it is still today, i see. thanks so much for doing this, @everyone! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

perhaps we need some lawyers to prevent losing money to their incompetency… but it’s also worth it to double check that nobody from disroot.org is giving them (microsoft and etc) reasons to be assholes.

Yep, having the exact same issue here too

1 Like

Not fully understanding the issue when I did this, I followed the RackAid procedure (at that time I actually thought, it was my email list that was blacklisted…). Here’s the response I got from Microsoft/Outlook.com:

We have completed reviewing the IP(s) you submitted. The following table contains the results of our investigation.

Not qualified for mitigation
Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) do not qualify for mitigation. These IP(s) have previously received mitigations from deliverability support, and have failed to maintain patterns within our guidelines, so they are ineligible for additional mitigation at this time.

Please ensure your emails comply with the Outlook.com policies, practices and guidelines found here: http://mail.live.com/mail/policies.aspx.

To have Deliverability Support investigate further, please reply to this email with a detailed description of the problem you are having, including specific error messages, and an agent will contact you.

Regardless of the deliverability status, Outlook.com recommends that all senders join two free programs that provide visibility into the Outlook.com traffic on your sending IP(s), the sending IP reputation with Outlook.com and the Outlook.com user complaint rates.

Junk Email Reporting program (JMRP) When an Outlook.com user marks an email as “junk”, senders enrolled in this program get a copy of the mail forwarded to the email address of their choice. It allows senders to see which mails are being marked as junk and to identify mail traffic you did not intend to send. To join, please visit http://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsjmrpp&page=support_home_options_form_byemail&ct=eformts.

Smart Network Data Services program (SNDS). This program allows you to monitor the ‘health’ and reputation of your registered IPs by providing data about traffic such as mail volume and complaint rates seen originating from your IPs. To register, please visit http://postmaster.live.com/snds/.

There is no silver bullet to maintaining or improving good IP reputation, but these programs help you proactively manage your email eco-system to help better ensure deliverability to Outlook.com users.

Thank you,

Outlook.com Deliverability Support

Not sure if this helps with resolving this… (since I suspect MS does that to undermine Disroot…)

1 Like

Thanks but it’s nothing new here. The funniest thing is that we did “join” their programs they mention in this reply, and our reputation was within their own norms. We never got a warning, or anything, just got totally blocked (not even having emails marked as spam), and apart from templated replies like yours, we have not managed to talk to someone that would be willing to fix this issue. All disrooters have been put in dark without, as it looks like, any way to fix this.
Should we then block them too? Personally I find it ridiculous. But we will keep trying

1 Like

2 or 3 years ago i worked for 3 months in a portuguese support center for xbox, through arvato…

i must say i hated microsoft ever since windows 95 or so (but thought i was stuck with them until 98 or so, redhat was terrible, ubuntu didn’t quite exist yet, another long stories) and that only reenforced my deep despite for them (more long stories), but…

the one thing they were always great at is marketing. and the second thing is customer support.

so i’m actually a bit surprised it’s this hard to get in touch with a human in there. i mean, at least first tier support.

if you can give me pointers, i could try to get in touch with some friends there to see if i could manage to help at all… but i never did anything like this and even when i was in there, getting contact with 2nd tier was only through mail and management. 1st tier could do quite a lot already, through management.

and the management there was actually very nice.

please take no wrong impressions… microsoft and even bill gates might be the 2 single biggest cancers in the world today, because in the sum of the whole they’re both assholes who think they know better than everyone else but keep all goodies to their own, but i still think there must be an easier way to fix this (probably not through contacts like what i’m trying to offer, though).

well, yesterday it was working back again!

just to give a positive report for a change. :kissing_heart:

yeah it has been fixed finally. After bombarding MS with requests we finally got yo tlak to a real human.