Hotmail rejecting email from disroot

Hi everyone,

Hotmail is today rejecting messages sent from my disroot account. Is there any remedy for this?

hotmail-com.olc.protection.outlook.com[104.47.124.33] said: 550 5.7.1
    Unfortunately, messages from [178.21.23.139] weren't sent. Please contact
    your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block
    list (S3140). You can also refer your provider to
    http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.
    [HK2APC01FT056.eop-APC01.prod.protection.outlook.com] (in reply to MAIL
    FROM command)

HI, I will check whats up, but I have been in battele with microsoft over this for months and now they simply ignore me without giving reason as to why we endup in the spam.

But I will keep trying.

1 Like

Thanks. This now goes beyond spam filtering because it’s now non-delivery which is much more serious. I understand that this is entirely M$'s doing, and I thank you for persisting with them. Good luck!

Wow, that’s some bad news. Just a couple months ago I made my grandpa switch to disroot as his old email provider was being blocked by Microsoft, and now this. Microsoft are being serious jerks here.

Thank you for your perseverance on this! Is there anything a simple user can do to add his voice to the mix?

One thing could be to contact hotmail support, but seeing how badly their support treats us (last year they just stopped communicating) i doubt it will have any result.

··· On Monday, 11 May 2020, renyhp wrote: > > > Wow, that's some bad news. Just a couple months ago I made my grandpa switch to disroot as his old email provider was being blocked by Microsoft, and now this. Microsoft are being serious jerks here. > > Thank you for your perseverance on this! Is there anything a simple user can do to add his voice to the mix? > > > > > > --- > [Visit Topic](http://forum.disroot.org/t/hotmail-rejecting-email-from-disroot/7351/4) or reply to this email to respond. > > You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode. > > To unsubscribe from these emails, [click here](http://forum.disroot.org/email/unsubscribe/4a4966493f1f665a98279d93a3ba4756eb6f55d7536f3e30abe42fabe7ddd16a). >

Sent from my Sailfish device

A glimmer of hope … a message to a hotmail.com account just now has not bounced. I hope I have not jinxed it …

[Update] Messages to Hotmail are still being rejected. :frowning:

I just got “off the line” with their chat support and the customer support agent insisted that the e-mail recipient needed to be “whitelisted” by my e-mail provider, not the other way around. Some of the response below (complaint was written from point of view of person not receiving e-mail to their Hotmail account).

In order to receive his email, you must be in his email provider white list. […] Please understand that it’s not Hotmail put him in White List. It’s his email is not listing you in white list.

I would actually love writing to their support but I just can’t seem to find any link to some form a “normal” user can fill, or any support email for that matter.

According to my (very non-expert) investigations with mxtoolbox.com, disroot.org appears to be on a backscatterer blacklist.

Listing on Backscatterer blacklist indicates that your server is issuing “backscatter” in the form of Non-Delivery Reports (bounces) to external users, or misdirected autoresponders and sender callouts. Much of this is a function of how your server configuration is set to handle emails directed to users that do not exist on the server, and can cause many problems especially if you are hit with a directory-harvesting attack. Simply requesting delisting and paying their fee will do nothing to help you correct the problem and will give you no guarantee that you won’t get blacklisted again.

There is conflicting advice about what to do about this, including Do Nothing and the listing will timeout and the problem will go away. More detail from mxtoolbox here.

Alternatively, you can fill out this form from Microsoft and they will unblock your IP address manually.

I hope this is helpful, @muppeth and apologise if it’s just distracting bullsh*t.

Thanks.

The Backscatterer blacklisting could be happening because of yahoo actually who decided to push DMARC reports to our ticketing system and not abuse@disroot.org for some reason which resulted in a trigger from our support autoreply, which they considered spamming (as it would directly autoreply to each report sent).
We’ll see if this was the issue. The worse thing is that in order to get whitelisted we need to pay up which suck as its caused by yahoo’s miss configuration or simply not following standards (who knows).

@mbs2 Btw. thanks for checking things. I guess we have no other way to pay up right now, but I wonder if this is the reason MS has decided to block. Lets hope so.

1 Like

I ran a test this morning by sending an email to a hotmail account. No bounce back, message delivered correctly and reply received! :slight_smile: Furthermore, the backscatterer error no longer shows up on the mxtoolbox.com listing. I think this is a win!

Thanks, @muppeth and the other posters.

Yeah i paid the ransom to the blacklist folks this morning so this should be solved. Lets hope microsoft’s servers were blocking because of this (though it was their fault to begin with).
Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Once again thanks to all of you and @mbs2 specially for pointing at the blacklist issue. I need to improve our blacklist monitoring looks like as i didnt get message about it.

···

On Wednesday, 13 May 2020, mbs2 via Disroot - Forum wrote:

I ran a test this morning by sending an email to a hotmail account. No bounce back, message delivered correctly and reply received! :slight_smile: Furthermore, the backscatterer error no longer shows up on the mxtoolbox.com listing. I think this is a win!

Thanks, @muppeth and the other posters.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Sent from my Sailfish device

1 Like