Is anyone able to get Nextcloud E2E actually working?

Hi, I’m on the latest desktop version 2.5 and the latest android version 3.4 RC1 and I can’t find an option to encrypt anything anywhere. The reason I’m asking here instead of on a nextcloud site, is because I actually had a previous disroot account where I could find the e2e password setting on both android and desktop, but I had to delete that account. So I created a new disroot account, but seem to have lost that option. Sorry for asking, but are all disroot accounts on the latest nextcloud server versions, with support for end-to-end encryption? If so, do you think you know what my problem could be anyway?

Thank you.

Thanks for reporting. Somehow it got disabled when upgrading nextcloud few days ago. It’s back now.

Quick update. We will have to disable end to end encryption because of issue in the desktop client:

We will look into it deeper starting from tomorrow and try to provide more information to nextcloud devs to help them solve the issue.

Any news on that topic?
Would be nice if you can keep us up to date :slight_smile:

Btw: Thanks for providing this awesome service!

Hello,

Thank you for this service. I’m just looking around here; everything looks great! It will def help with my upcoming breakup with google.

I was wondering what the status of the e2e is? There is still a notice on the state page saying it’s been down. Accurate?

If so what is everyone doing for encryption? Uploading with cryptomator or some other app?

If so what is everyone doing for encryption? Uploading with
cryptomator or some other app?

Server side encryption is still enabled on this instance. If you still
want e2ee then I would never recommend cryptomator, why would you use
it? You cannot decrypt the files on your desktop unless you pay and
also the mobile free version is v1. I would use something like
openkeychain or aescrypt, that way you can decrypt it on any device
without paying a fee. Securing your information shoudn’t require
payment.

··· On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 23:49:06 +0200 ear wrote:

Notopygos
GnuPG Fingerprint: 1C24ED06365A6045C128A1C0FB0E532153076E7D

Cryptomator is a free program, the part on the website that asks how much money you’re going to pay is just for donations, you can still download it for free.

Cryptomator is a free program, the part on the website that asks how
much money you’re going to pay is just for donations, you can still
download it for free.

Yes I was wrong about the mobile version being free, actually its the
opposite. The desktop version is free and the mobile version is paid. I
still don’t see any reason to use this instead of encrypting it
yourself with gnupg or something similar.

I think their users pay for the ease of use, from the description looks
like they offer one click sync to many storage providers so thats a
plus.

··· On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 19:30:28 +0200 ec_ho wrote:

Notopygos
GnuPG Fingerprint: 1C24ED06365A6045C128A1C0FB0E532153076E7D

I’m running e2e encryption without issue. It has become stable on all desktop and mobile platforms and is working okay from my limited testing over a couple weeks. It is worth taking another look!

Thanks for the feedback @doug Which version of nextlcoud client are you using? Does it encrypt now by default also subfolders or still just the folder you select to encrypt. In the past (have not follow the issue in a while so could be its fixed), there was an issue where only selected folder would get encrypted while all it’s subfolders not. This possed very big issue where people would be unaware that some of the stuff they think is protected was in fact not.

That said, we were planning to revisit the end to end module together with preparation for nextlcoud 20 upgrade.

I’m testing on Nextcloud 20.0.0 with Desktop Client 3.0.2
I’ll try and test what you mention above to see what happens.