Mismatch between email directories (folders) in IMAP & webmail?

Accessing my disroot email with IMAP, I see the directories Archive, Drafts, INBOX, Junk,Sent and Trash.

These don’t match the folders shown on the webmail interface: there I have Spam & Trash, but no Junk?

Is Junk an Alias for Trash ? And why no Spam in the IMAP view?

It is a bit confusing.

I had also created a local directory which is not being mirrored in disroot. Maybe I have forgotten a step and need to read my imap documentation.

Hi,
Never realised there is different names. Yes Spam and Junk folders are the same. Dont know why Rainloop calles it different.

As for folders, those should be synced between clients (webmail is just an imap client). I personally use Evolution Mail and folders are properly synced so maybe something in your setup

Thanks for the reply. Odd that Spam is missing.

I use offlineimap to sync with disroot. I better check my ~/.offlineimaprc to see whether I need to adjust that somehow. And refresh my memory on the offlineimap documentation.

On the server the folder is called .Junk. Seems like rainloop (webmail) for some reason (maybe user friendiness) is renaming it to Spam.

I had also created a local directory which is not being mirrored in disroot.

I finally got around to looking into this. It seems that the subdirectory was being mirrored, but the directory was hidden in the Rainloop view. It seemed a bit odd that it would be hidden by default.

Again, I have now discovered the Rainloop “system folders” configuration where the renaming seems to happen.

Thanks for looking into this. I just checked and when creating both standalone folder and one with parent, by default they have been marked to be seen, so not sure how you created the folder.

I just created the directory on my local machine and then invoked
offlineimap. It had the same permissions as the other directories.
Maybe the imap server somehow marks it as hidden as a security
precaution, but it was a bit confusing. I don’t even know if the IMAP
protocol even has a concept of “hidden”.

But this thread should help anyone else who hits this.

··· On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 05:17:45PM +0200, muppeth wrote: > > Thanks for looking into this. I just checked and when creating both standalone folder and one with parent, by default they have been marked to be seen, so not sure how you created the folder.