Nextcloud RSS

Hey @muppeth & other support staff! Is there any chance that nextcloud can be updated to 6.0.5? My RSS client (RSSGuard) won’t fetch the feeds unless version 6.0.5 at a minimum is used. :eyes:

:smile: Thats funny. Current version of nextcloud is 15.0.2 and news app is 13.0.3 and we are running those. Not sure what RSSGuard is looking at but might be that owncloud versioning (the project nextcloud was forked/derived from) is different hence the issue?

1 Like

Ah well, I took a look on their github page and the project is looking for a main developer. So, it seems, it’s dead in the water and little chance of someone adding the needed hooks. I’ll try another client.

Currently News app on nextcloud is also looking for maintainer so the future of the service in itself is also quite a question mark. We want to help out looking for developers in near future also donate some money in that direction to lure some devs, however if all fails we will have to look for alternative, standalone rss viewer.

If you are on linux there is a feedreader: https://howto.disroot.org/en/nextcloud/sync-with-your-cloud/linux/gnome-desktop-integration#news

I havent use it much, but it used to work when i made the howto :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah I used it briefly, but I don’t like how it’s configured and I didn’t see an easy way
to hack it. I wanted to use my GUI standalone newsreader Liferea, but it doesn’t support
NextCloud, yet. I have newsboat configured and am using it, but it doesn’t have a built in
HTML viewer, which in my opinion, is needed for RSS. I know one can use the system browser
to open the feed, but I prefer a built in one, otherwise, why use a rss-reader app at all,
just use ones browser? So, next I’m trying QuiteRSS which I have used briefly in the past.
Apparently it supports Nextcloud. Thanks @muppeth!

··· On Wed, 2019-01-30 at 19:55 +0100, muppeth wrote: > > > > > > > > > > muppeth > > > January 30 > > > > > Currently News app on nextcloud is also looking for maintainer so the future of the > service in itself is also quite a question mark. We want to help out looking for > developers in near future also donate some money in that direction to lure some devs, > however if all fails we will have to look for alternative, standalone rss viewer. > > If you are on linux there is a feedreader: > https://howto.disroot.org/en/nextcloud/sync-with-your-cloud/linux/gnome-desktop-integration#news > > I havent use it much, but it used to work when i made the howto > > > > > > > > Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. > > > > In Reply To > > > > > > > > Dagwood > > > January 30 > > > > Ah well, I took a look on their github page and the project is looking for a main > developer. So, it seems, it's dead in the water and little chance of someone adding the > needed hooks. I'll try another client. > > > > > > > > > Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. > > > You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode. > > To unsubscribe from these emails, click here. > > > > > > > > > >

@muppeth What is the connection syntax to connect manually to Disroot’s Nextcloud newsfeed?
I’m trying https://cloud.disroot.org/nextcloud/index.php/apps/activity/rss.php with my
login credentials and am getting ‘connection refused’?

··· On Wed, 2019-01-30 at 19:55 +0100, muppeth wrote: > > > > > > > > > > muppeth > > > January 30 > > > > > Currently News app on nextcloud is also looking for maintainer so the future of the > service in itself is also quite a question mark. We want to help out looking for > developers in near future also donate some money in that direction to lure some devs, > however if all fails we will have to look for alternative, standalone rss viewer. > > If you are on linux there is a feedreader: > https://howto.disroot.org/en/nextcloud/sync-with-your-cloud/linux/gnome-desktop-integration#news > > I havent use it much, but it used to work when i made the howto > > > > > > > > Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. > > > > In Reply To > > > > > > > > Dagwood > > > January 30 > > > > Ah well, I took a look on their github page and the project is looking for a main > developer. So, it seems, it's dead in the water and little chance of someone adding the > needed hooks. I'll try another client. > > > > > > > > > Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. > > > You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode. > > To unsubscribe from these emails, click here. > > > > > > > > > >

Was that an inappropriate question? The reason, for wanting to know the manual ‘path’ is so I can enter that into the account dialogue, where the server address is required. That shouldn’t be sensitive to know …

No sorry I was just not in front of laptop to answer. The point is it wont work. Pointing your app to Nextcloud RSS will not work as it needs to utilize api’s to get the data out of it. Link to the news app is https://cloud.disroot.org/apps/news but thats not going to work.

1 Like

What, you’re not always connected?! :nerd:
OK No worries @muppeth — Newsboat is what I’ll stick with, as it just works without any fuss. :+1:

hahahaha… pretty much always online its true. Currently preparing to deliver huge project at work (migrating the office to actually nextcloud and 100% linux based workstations) so working crazy hours these days and not much time for disroot (I want to prove that this stack is usable for office work so dont want to fuckup). That said, It’s 1:50 at night, and I’m in bed answering your post and checking some small things around disroot before going proper offline for few hours :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sheesh, I’m sorry, my bad! I shouldn’t forget the time zones and the fact you’re in Europe, making you ahead of us timewise, in the Americas. Best of Luck with your work project!

Well, thats a trade of of living in the future :stuck_out_tongue:
No worries, its my choice to be active at that time and I do it with pleasure.

1 Like

I was trying to use the RSS Guard and I was also recalling this error, but the connection still works.
After putting the disroot url, user and password is not necessary to test the connection, just save and then update the list of feeds, this is what is necessary, it will work.