NextCloud video telephony: no audio/video between remote users due to lack of TURN or STUN?

Hello,

I am trying to make use of the video telephony feature in NextCloud but face the problem that the video to/from remote communication partners stays black. What does work is the built-in chat feature and video calls to other computers within my own LAN. I have tried several browsers (Chromium, Firefox, …)

Those symptoms suggest problems with establishing audio/video streams between to endpoints, each behind a router/NAT/firewall (sorry if not getting the technical concepts right).
As far as I know, there are various ‘hacks’ available, such as using STUN or TURN servers.

So my questions are:

• Have others successfully established video calls using NextCloud talk between remote endpoints?
  • Does anyone know if Disroot’s NextCloud instance has STUN or TURN configured (I guess as normal user you cannot set those)?
  • Are there any other reasons for the symptoms I observe? What else can I try out?

Thank you in advance and happy new year!

Bye,
Jana

Excusse our lameness. We seem to forgot to start coturn after last reboot. It should be fine now (please confirm it is).

I have made a ticket to not forget to fix that in the future.

Thank you very much! I can indeed confirm that video telephony works again.