Only one page of Search results using search.disroot.org using Firefox.

If I click “next page”, I ALWAYS get the message:

“Sorry! we didn’t find any results. Please use another query or search in more categories.”

Even going directly to searx.me I get one page and sometimes about 3 items on a 2nd page.

This is for broad topics which would have 16 pages of results on google.com

Why is this?

I’m ready to switch search engines if this can’t be solved.

I think that has something to do with Google blocking searx. It’s been that way for a long time now.

I recently learned of the Swisscows search engine which is apparently very private. I recommend that for now.

Due to disroot and other searx instances being blocked by google we have disabled it. You can enable it back in preferences. It should work properly then again. This seems like it prevents robots, spam and other automated abuse that was getting us blocked.
Try to enable google results and see if that helped

··· On 11 May 2019 11:25:34 CEST, sacksniff wrote: > > >If I click "next page", I ALWAYS get the message: > >"Sorry! we didn't find any results. Please use another query or search >in more categories." > >Even going directly to searx.me I get one page and sometimes about 3 >items on a 2nd page. > >This is for broad topics which would have 16 pages of results on >google.com > >Why is this? > >I'm ready to switch search engines if this can't be solved. > > > > > >--- >[Visit >Topic](http://forum.disroot.org/t/only-one-page-of-search-results-using-search-disroot-org-using-firefox/5631/1) >or reply to this email to respond. > >You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode. > >To unsubscribe from these emails, [click >here](http://forum.disroot.org/email/unsubscribe/8057c0beab721c2b3e4ef41c4a5deda76bc3c7ddcb30c7ce31ce64d1293d06ec).

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Thank you for the response.

Per Wiki, “Swisscows also deems itself ‘family-friendly’, with explicit results entirely omitted.”
So that alone makes it not sound right for me.

I’m trying Startpage.com as my default.

Thank you for the response.

“You can enable it back in preferences. It should work properly then again. This seems like it prevents robots, spam and other automated abuse that was getting us blocked.
Try to enable google results and see if that helped.”

“…enable it back in preferences.” - What preferences? For what website? Where?

“Try to enable google results…” Likewise, I don’t understand the instructions.
Where do I enable google results?
This will not cause me to lose privacy by enabling google results?

“…enable it back in preferences.” - What preferences? For what
website? Where?

on search.disroot.org you’ll see a top bar which has 2 links - about
and preferences https://search.disroot.org/preferences

you’ll have to enable cookies (default) for it to work.

··· On Sun, 12 May 2019 00:55:45 +0200 sacksniff wrote:

Wallichii wallichi@riseup.net
0731 FCC1 D00B 2069 1F23
4D22 2032 F592 A338 B781

@sacksniff So maybe to explain how searx works.
Searx is meta search engine. What does it mean? It means it aggregates results from all types of search engines (google, yahoo, duckduckgo, bing etc). This means that none of those search engines can track you or build a profile about you as its the search.disroot.org creating the requests. So the profile they make is pretty much useless as we appear to them as a schizophrenic with multiple personalities. No data about you besides the query itself is leaked to any of those search engines. And this is what is awesome about it.

Now for some background about why google started blocking us.
Since our instance is public and listed on various websites as recommendation, a lot of bots, crawlers and others that use searchengines to for example manipulate search result positioning, abuse things like searx. Not only they can hide their id behind, they also cover number of engines in one query (because searx is awesome). This means that we (our searx instance) do ton of queries. We do impose some form of rate limits etc, but obviously this has not been efficient enough recently. All public instances that are listed around (meaning abused by this kind of activity) recently have been permanently banned by google. Google bans IPs that do a lot of queries temporary to fight abuse which in their eyes we do. To fight it, we though we would switch off default google search results as they were broken and not working. This prevents abusers on our instance from utilizing it as they would have to set it up in preferences (probably at some point they will realize this and do it though). Now because we are not creating tsunami of requests to google, we have been unblocked. Users then can re-enable google search results (if they so desire) by going to Preferences (you should check it out as you will find a lot of interesting search engines, themes etc to tweak).

(damn peak did not catch my mouse pointer, but i guess you figured what i meant)

Hmm, that makes sense. I thought it was a direct block (like what they did to Scroogle when it was around). Anyway, don’t you think other search engines might also ban searx then? I happen to recommend this instance on my site, should I remove it? Or would it be enough to list it without a link (no <a href="…") so that a bot won’t detect it?

So far it doesnt look like it. Google has always been nasty (usually they need you to solve captcha to prove you ar enot a bot when there is too many requests, which of course wiht searx it does not work).

The guys behind searx are quite active and responsive. As for swisscows it uses bing for its search results so not that much different then searx imo.

Think I’ve got another problem with the search. I made “duckduckgo images” the only enabled option in the images category, and when I search for, say, “qwant logo” it displays no results. But actually going to DuckDuckGo does display a lot of results. Is DDG now blocking searx instances too?