Searx Google engine not working, lots of timeouts with others

On searx.prvcy.eu, whenever Google starts to act up again (man, this is annoying), I get the following error message:

Error! Engines cannot retrieve results.
google (unexpected crash: CAPTCHA required)
Please, try again later or find another searx instance.

Doesn’t help with the issue, but it’s immediately clear what’s wrong. Wondering why I’m not getting this on search.disroot.org.

I havent notice timeouts on google myself. I will have a look whether its giving an issues during peak hours.

Since we are using filtron, which rate limits queries preventing bots and crawlers abusing and thus getting us blocked i havent experienced getting captcha’ed by google. It could be dns timiming out or responding too slow during peak hours. I’ll investigate whats wrong (the moment i notice anomaly)…

··· On 26 January 2018 20:44:09 CET, guillaume wrote: > > >On searx.prvcy.eu, whenever Google starts to act up again (man, this is >annoying), I get the following error message: >> Error! Engines cannot retrieve results. >> google (unexpected crash: CAPTCHA required) >> Please, try again later or find another searx instance. > >Doesn't help with the issue, but it's immediately clear what's wrong. >Wondering why I'm not getting this on search.disroot.org. > > > > > >--- >[Visit >Topic](http://forum.disroot.org/t/searx-google-engine-not-working-lots-of-timeouts-with-others/2405/21) >or reply to this email to respond. > >You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode. > >To unsubscribe from these emails, [click >here](http://forum.disroot.org/email/unsubscribe/9ef741c34ce259c508d0b730907d2096f914242a6ba7cb85f88ad4306c6c0af1).

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

seems to help for some people.

I applied the patch and switched off the google search until the captcha block is lifted.

I’m seeing issues with CAPTCHA for Google results as well. Queries using Startpage (!sp) don’t show any results either.

All big searx instances are blocked right now by google seems like it. I’m monitoring the situation and as soon as a patch or any solution comes up we’ll apply it.
As for startpage searches, i need to have a look why is that happening.

1 Like

@muppeth Currently, the Google engine is useless on disroot’s instance, but this here seems to be working for searx.be.

Cool. Thanks for pointing to it. Surely filtron (which we use now) does not do its job. I will be looking into the new proposed solution and implement it.
I’ll be looking into it. Made a user story for this so people who want to be up to date on the solution can follow:
https://board.disroot.org/project/disroot-disroot/us/2120

Great! Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Any news on this? Looks like it’s not really on the road map, but the current situation mames the Searx instance significantly.

What bugs me most is that when Google gives the captcha the entire search operation is being halted, instead of at least delivering search results from the other engines. Is this something that could be resolved at least?

Edit: This is odd, right after I wrote this, I saw the graceful fail like this happen (DDG results on the left, Google captcha error on the right). Strange, as before it always presented only the captcha error (in the search column on the left). So, sometimes it does the one, sometimes the other. What constitutes this behavior? Did the other selected engines time out when I only get the captcha error? If so, that would be quite often then, almost every time…