Sick of Big Tech? We can help you break free in 14 days!

Dear community,

We’re happy to announce a brand new version of https://gofoss.today!

Embark on a 2-week journey to replace Big Tech with free and open source alternatives :slight_smile: We’ll release a new chapter every other day or so, starting today with some thoughts on Internet privacy.

This is a volunteer run and self funded project, released under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0. It’s totally free – no ads, no tracking, no sponsored content. Hopefully, it can contribute to a more secure, private and free Internet.

Constructive feedback is welcome, help us improve! Reach out on reddit, mastodon, or peertube.

Don’t forget to share the link if you want to support the project :slight_smile:

Best,

Georg, Lenina and Tom.

Sneak peek:

• 04 May 2021 - Speak freely with end-to-end encrypted emails & messages
  • 05 May 2021 - Protect your data with strong passwords, backups & encryption
  • 06 May 2021 - Free your phone, use FOSS apps
  • 08 May 2021 - Free your phone from Google & Apple
  • 09 May 2021 - Free your computer, switch to Linux
  • 11 May 2021 - Choose trustworthy cloud providers
  • 12 May 2021 - Set up your own server
  • 13 May 2021 - Secure your server
  • 15 May 2021 - Self-host cloud services (file sync, photo gallery)
  • 16 May 2021 - Self-host cloud services (contacts, calendars, tasks, media streaming, automated backups)

This might sound silly, but I can’t figure out how to navigate your site, once I click on get started it just takes me through various pages but I can’t figure out how to access the guide?

Hi jbhimber, thanks for your message :slight_smile: You’re absolutely right, the website still looks a bit “empty”. That’s because we’ll roll out content over the next 2 weeks, approx. one chapter a day. Tomorrow for example we’ll have a look at private browsing, the days after we’ll talk about encrypted messaging, and so on. Feel free to check in from time to time, if you like the content. Cheers! Georg

Hi,

Good work on the GoFoss site. I fully understand that it’s a work in progress, and with that in mind I have a couple of first impressions:

• In the spirit of expanding privacy-awareness it might be helpful to your audience if you were to identify your (excellent) efforts as part of a larger genre of similar security/privacy projects. The obvious two that come to mind are PRISM Break and PrivacyTools. Others would include privacy subreddits.

• In the Free Your Phone section, the glaring absence of GrapheneOS merits a mention. GrapheneOS is a highly respected and actively developed project which should at least get a mention, even if you guys have some reason for not liking it.

The UX is great by the way. It would be useful to have some kind of contact form or link for users to provide comments, feedback, bug reports or wishlist items.

RC

Hi, thanks for the constructive feedback! We took your comments on board and linked to similar projects on our credits page - they might even link to ours, who knows :wink:

GrapheneOS indeed deserves attention, and will be added in one of our next releases (didn’t find the time to cover everything for the launch).

We also added more links to engage on social media as well as per email.

Cheers, Georg

Hello!
Some feedback: I really liked the ‘14 days’ idea, but it is not truly implemented in the layout. Would be nice some sort of illustrative calendar or list named like that: “Day 1 - Doing this”, “Day 2 - Doing that”.
Anyway, great work. I want to help. Can I translate it to Brazilian Portuguese? How?