[Solved] - Using email

I’ve started forwarding my email to disroot and using it properly. So far so good, it can be a bit slow but it works fine. :sunglasses:

First problem I’ve encountered is this: how do I create a contact in my address book or add a sender’s address from a received email to my address book? There’s an import function, but I can’t find a create contact function. Thanks!

1 Like

Is the ‘slowness’ ocuring when sending email or you refer to general experience?

As for roundcube (webmail software) we have made a decision based on feedback from people to replace it with rainloop. it is more fresh looking, cleaner and easier to handle by people.

It is on our board for things to do in comming sprint (from 8th - 30th september). Probably it will happend by the end of this week.
Also i would personally encourage anyone to use mail client such as thunderbird for example.

Sorry if we cause any inconvenience with the webmail change.

Thanks Muppeth.

The transition between inbox an viewing an email is a bit slow, as is moving between folders. We’re talking a couple of seconds here, nothing terrible!

I’ll try setting up Thunderbird at home to see how that works. I don’t think I can do that at work.

i see. i will test it out now as i’m currently around 1500km from where the server is (holidays). didnt experience interface being laggy when at home.

Rainloop should be ready for testing tomorrow morning, i’ll let you know the url.

@Noam you can test RainLoop under this temporary url https://webmail.disroot.org I’m curious to hear your opinion.
I noticed Sieve (mail filtering) isn’t working for some reason. I will have a look at it tomorrow.

1 Like

Rainloop is looking much snazzier than the other one!

1 Like

yup. i think so too. once i test all the functionality i will be replacing it.

btw you can sync the contacts to ownloud ( didnt test it myself yet )

Rainloop is now officially available and replacing roundcube. \o/

Plus it is now integrated with owncloud interface.

• Direct link to mail is https://mail.disroot.org
  • You can get to email also by navigating to it in owncloud. It will autologin to both. Just like chat does.

Currently we support filters and GPG encryption via web interface. Though we strongly advice you to use gpg implementation on your local mail client (thunderbird) rather then webmail, for stronger security and your privacy (tutorial and explanation about it will follow soon).

Hello, there was some options with roundcube I can’t find anymore in rainloop. One very important to me is the ability to manage identities, so I can send emails “from” other aliases I have.

Can this functionality be activated on rainloop? Rainloop looks more “glossy” but feels less tweakable.

Cheers :smile:

HI bolton,

Yes there is option to manage multiple identities. We removed it form roundcube some weeks ago already as people started trolling by impersonating others.
We want to find a solution (or better implement it) before we re-open up multiple identities management. It is on our backlog for upcoming sprint.
Sorry for temporary inconvenience

Muppeth, thank you for your answer, I really appreciate.

Why using webmails to impersonate people as you can do it with any email client very easily?

However, today I got one of my emails refused by a gmail user, here is what it says :

"This is the mail system at host disroot.org.

I’m sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It’s attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

xxxx@xxx.xxx: host aspmx.l.google.com[74.125.136.27] said:
550-5.7.1 [37.48.71.229 7] Our system has detected that this message
is 550-5.7.1 likely unsolicited mail. To reduce the amount of spam sent to
Gmail, 550-5.7.1 this message has been blocked. Please visit 550 5.7.1
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/188131 for more information.
gq7si1104969wib.111 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA command)""

I’m not sure you can do anything about it, I just wanted to inform you.

Many thanks for the disroot platform, and for your time spent for us =)

That is totally true. We closed it for a time being because webmail was used for spoofing. Atm we are planning to implement DKIM in a coming sprint which will help prevent that.

Nevertheless I will re-enable multiple identities in webmail now (it will push us to fix DKIM asap :stuck_out_tongue: ).

It is worrying to hear that your message was rejected. We pay a lot of attention to not have disroot (or any other virtual domain on our server) end up in google’s SPAM. Google as always ain’t easy with any non-corporate email servers.
Were you sending bulk messages? Did the email got rejected for all gmail users? I just tested sending email to gmail and it was successful.There are some silly guidelines on sending bulk mails to gmail here.

From our side implementing DKIM will definitely improve things.

Thanks for using it. It’s a great motivation.

The email seems faster after the latest disroot upgrade. :smile:

Question about SPAM: Is it always left in the spam folder, or is some deleted automatically? I ask because I’m missing a specific email.

Great to hear that.
There is still some improvement to be done with Rainloop (takes too long to render the mail imo).

SPAM is only flagged as such (SPAM in title) but not deleted.

So, I’ve been using disroot as my main (personal) email for a few months now, so a bit of feedback. Overall it’s mostly straightforward and easy to use. There are drafts and autosaves, it’s all good. The spell checker wasn’t working before (on Firefox), but that’s been fixed. :relaxed:

A few comments, suggestions and questions:

1. The worst problem is that it’s slllooowww. It takes a while several seconds to load up emails after choosing them, and to load up contacts in the to box and so on.

2. I can create folders in the inbox and in the archive. Is there any important difference in functionality or memory or anything?

3. I can’t find a way to see only the starred messages / conversations, or to see only unread messages. Am I missing something?

4. The vertical bars for scrolling down the messages or within a message are very thin and hard to pick up. I know this sounds picky and maybe silly, but I find it hard to use, and at first I couldn’t find them at all - so I didn’t realise there were more messages in the inbox.

Keep up the good work. It’s a pleasure to be part of this project!

Thanks for the feedback.

I did some quick tests and indeed loading message takes about 3sec (for one with pictures etc), normal mail about 2 sec. I haven’t notice any lags while loading contacts (they apear pretty much instantly). Can you share your times? I would like to see whether it’s related to rainloop - mail server (in case you have the same results).
I did notice though that when syncing big addressbooks from owncloud for the first time that it might cause a lag and even crash of the whole application. I will be investigating that one.

We’ll try to improve mail display speed if possible.

There is no difference.

To display starred mails - either press arrow down on the search bar and select “Flagged” messages, or type directly is:flagged in the search bar.

Same goes for unread messages. Either select unseen from the menu or type is:unseen in the search bar.

Generally check search options in the search menu for more filtering options.

I haven’t notice it because I don’t use those to scroll sites. Either use a finger (touch devices), mouse scroll (desktop), touchpad (laptop). I guess @Antilopa could do some css magic to make those more prominent.

Lastly. I’m a big fan of native email clients. There is no webmail that will do the job as good as native application. There is plenty to choose from for both mobile devices as well as destkop/laptop. Something to consider, unless you use public computers and / or don’t have a private device. If you have any questions on how to set it up on your machine, please don’t hesitate and ask. We already have some howtos on few mail clients (something we hope to update with more in couple of weeks) https://howto.disroot.org/en/email/email-clients

I’ve created an issue about the email content display speed on our issue board:
https://board.disroot.org/project/disroot-disroot/issue/260

Thanks! I’ve now installed Thunderbird, that does make life easier, at least at home. And I shouldn’t spend too much time reading private emails at work anyhow. I’ve only just got my Fairphone, my first smartphone, so I’ll see about that one too.

I would recommend K9 mail client from f-droid.

Thanks! K9 working on phone, and have managed to access my ownCloud files as well. Any advice on accessing the ownCloud Calendar or contacts from my phone? I’m almost ready to join the new millennium. :slight_smile: