voidlinux

voidlinux.org

Can you share more about Voidlinux? Have you used it for very long?

It looks to me like it is very new (as Linux distros go). It’s refreshing to see a new flavour of Linux that isn’t based on Ubuntu. Does it make use of any specific package handler (like Apt or Pacman)?

If I were give Voidlinux a try, how difficult would it be for me to add the Trinity desktop environment to it?

Update:

Just read a pretty good review on Void over at DistroWatch… I’m very tempted to give it a try. If I could install TDE on it, then I would probably not be able to resist trying it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I am using it for three years without any major issues

Void is independent linux distribution which use own package manager called xbps.
Working on aarch64, armv6, armv7, i686 and x86_64.

Trinity desktop isn’t in repos, but of course you can try install it from source, maybe with void’s tool for that xbps-src. I never tried on Void or any other distro…

Void is very lightweight and fast. Use runit as init system insted of systemD and you can choose glibc or musl libraries…

1 Like

Yes, the distro I currently use, Devuan, doesn’t use systemD but rather sysvinit. Actually, I’m using Exe GNU/Linux, which is Devuan with the Trinity desktop environment. Works much better on my Aspire One netbook, I think, without systemD.

1 Like

Never heard about Exe linux or Trinity desktop environment.
Exe and TDE
I will take a look…

I’ve been researching Void a little bit. It reminds me very much of the early days of ArchLinux. I want to give it a try and see how well it runs on my netbooks. I’m going to bet that it will be very responsive.

Sure.
I am using it on multiple computers and also on old Thinkpad T420…
Even my mom`s old computer working well, she never has any complains. (Her first linux)
I will install also on Raspberry Pi 4b 8GB next week…

1 Like

I have a strong interest in Void Linux.
However, I installed it to try it out, but stopped using it. The reason is the extreme lack of documentation.
It will be a good distribution if that is improved.